> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Family Law > Do I need a lawyer to legally change my first and last name?

Do I need a lawyer to legally change my first and last name?

1 Answers. Asked on Jan 25th, 2017 on Family Law - California
More details to this question:
I want to legally change my first and last name for myself. This has nothing to do with divorce or marriage. I would like advice if I need to have a lawyer help me petition and request my first and last name change.
Tagged as:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jan 25th, 2017 at 7:14 PM

It is possible for you to change your name without the assistance of an attorney. Most courts offers fill in the blanks forms. However, if your forms are not filed correctly or you failed to publish your petition, then it wil be denied. Most lawyers will prepare your documents for less than you think. It may be worth hiring a lawyer to have it done right the first time.

Report Abuse
Family Law
A family law attorney can guide you through the many legal issues facing couples, parents and their children. Family law lawyers can work with individuals who are engaged or married to create pre-nuptial agreements and post-nuptial agreements. Family law attorneys will also work with individuals and couples seeking to start or grow a family through adoption. And law firms can work with individuals who are getting divorced to negotiate a divorce agreement, including alimony, palimony, the division of property and debts, child custody, child support and visitation.
Have an Family Law Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

354 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

241 Answers, 47 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

179 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

115 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

85 Answers, 33 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

82 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

71 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums