> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Family Law > Grandparent Visitation, how to handle?

Grandparent Visitation, how to handle?

1 Answers. Asked on Feb 18th, 2017 on Family Law - New York
More details to this question:
My child is 3 and her grandmother was awarded visitation. The temporary order does not state (that we know of) no smoking around her but they said in the court room they do not smoke in their car or home. The first visit she had she reeked of smoke and said her grandma went in a specific room (which is used only for smoking in) What should we do?
Tagged as:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Feb 20th, 2017 at 10:00 PM

Grandparent visitation is awarded only when the grandparent has established standing, due to special circumstances, and the court has determined visitation is in the best interests of the child.  Even if the grandmother is not smoking in the same room as the child, your child can come home reeking of smoke just by being in a room or car that has been previously used by heavy smokers. Ask the grandmother if you can bring her an air purifier to start using in the room where your child visits, and to air out the room by opening windows, if possible.  You don't want to cut off visits because of the cigarette smell, but you shouldn't have to ignore it, either. 

Report Abuse
Family Law
A family law attorney can guide you through the many legal issues facing couples, parents and their children. Family law lawyers can work with individuals who are engaged or married to create pre-nuptial agreements and post-nuptial agreements. Family law attorneys will also work with individuals and couples seeking to start or grow a family through adoption. And law firms can work with individuals who are getting divorced to negotiate a divorce agreement, including alimony, palimony, the division of property and debts, child custody, child support and visitation.
Have an Family Law Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

316 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

239 Answers, 43 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

145 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

119 Answers, 21 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

100 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

R. Sam Price

Attorney - California

95 Answers, 13 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

87 Answers, 31 Legal Topics

Family Law Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Hartsoe & Associates, P.C.

Winston-Salem, NC

| Contact Now

Scott M. McPherson, P.A.

New Port Richey, FL

| Contact Now

Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums