> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Family Law > How do I get my car back from a family member that stole it?

How do I get my car back from a family member that stole it?

1 Answers. Asked on Jan 31st, 2017 on Family Law - New York
More details to this question:
I was seen in a nearby hospital for a possible seizure (turns out that it wasn't one,) and my mother was hell-bent on taking my car key. I have since asked her for the key to the car which is now sitting in her driveway and she refuses to turn them over. What are my options in getting MY car back? Suing her?
Tagged as:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Feb 01st, 2017 at 5:49 AM

As long as you can prove ownership of the car with a valid registration, you can start an action for replevin to get your car back. If the car isn't registered to you but you can prove you paid for it, have been paying to maintain and insure it and have had the exclusive use of it, you still might win.

Report Abuse
Family Law
A family law attorney can guide you through the many legal issues facing couples, parents and their children. Family law lawyers can work with individuals who are engaged or married to create pre-nuptial agreements and post-nuptial agreements. Family law attorneys will also work with individuals and couples seeking to start or grow a family through adoption. And law firms can work with individuals who are getting divorced to negotiate a divorce agreement, including alimony, palimony, the division of property and debts, child custody, child support and visitation.
Have an Family Law Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

316 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

239 Answers, 43 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

145 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

119 Answers, 21 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

100 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

R. Sam Price

Attorney - California

95 Answers, 13 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

87 Answers, 31 Legal Topics

Family Law Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums