> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Family Law > In Wisconsin who keeps the engagement ring if the engagement is broken?

In Wisconsin who keeps the engagement ring if the engagement is broken?

1 Answers. Asked on May 16th, 2017 on Family Law - Wisconsin
More details to this question:
My fiancé gave me an engagement ring along with a wedding band. More than five years later he broke off the engagement without telling me why. I offered to return the rings but he refused them. Now he has changed his mind and wants them back. I have since given them to someone else. He is threatening to sue me for either the rings or cash value of the rings What is my legal obligation in state of Wisconsin. He lives in Minnesota
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on May 17th, 2017 at 5:16 AM

In Wisconsin, an engagement ring is a conditional gift and must be returned if the engagement is broken off, regardless of which party is breaking the engagement or irrespective of fault.

David B. Karp Karp & Iancu, S.C. 933 North Mayfair Road #300 Milwaukee, WI 53226 414 453 0800

Report Abuse
Family Law
A family law attorney can guide you through the many legal issues facing couples, parents and their children. Family law lawyers can work with individuals who are engaged or married to create pre-nuptial agreements and post-nuptial agreements. Family law attorneys will also work with individuals and couples seeking to start or grow a family through adoption. And law firms can work with individuals who are getting divorced to negotiate a divorce agreement, including alimony, palimony, the division of property and debts, child custody, child support and visitation.
Have an Family Law Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

337 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

246 Answers, 44 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

166 Answers, 27 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

132 Answers, 22 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

121 Answers, 32 Legal Topics

Ms. Maryellen Sullivan, Esq.

Attorney - Maine

105 Answers, 4 Legal Topics

R. Sam Price

Attorney - California

94 Answers, 14 Legal Topics

Family Law Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Donald R. Wall Attorney at Law

New York, NY

| Contact Now

Aiken, O'Halloran & Associates

Fort Myers, FL

| Contact Now

Nelson & Dixon, LLC

Dublin, GA

| Contact Now

Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums