> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Family Law > Is my ex wife entitled to proceeds from a book I publish after being divorced because 50% was written while I was married?

Is my ex wife entitled to proceeds from a book I publish after being divorced because 50% was written while I was married?

1 Answers. Asked on Jul 24th, 2017 on Family Law - New Jersey
More details to this question:
Tagged as:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jul 26th, 2017 at 1:07 PM

It is hard to say and you should consult with an attorney in person, but when you file a case information statement in preparation for a divorce one of the sections you fill out is to describe contingent liabililities and contingent assets. Contingent assets, for instance, can be law suits, patents, or other assets that are not in hand but may be expected in the future. Without getting into specifics, if you were just writing a book for your enjoyment while you were married with no intention or idea of publishing, you may be able to state that the proceeds arose after the date of the complaint. However, if you were under some contract or had some more definite hope of publishing your book during the time you were married, then she may have a claim to some of the proceeds. There is not really enough info to give a more definite answer.

Answers to any question is not to imply a lawyer-client relationship which can only be after a consultation and the signing of a retainer agreement disclosing what the terms of representation might be.

Report Abuse
Family Law
A family law attorney can guide you through the many legal issues facing couples, parents and their children. Family law lawyers can work with individuals who are engaged or married to create pre-nuptial agreements and post-nuptial agreements. Family law attorneys will also work with individuals and couples seeking to start or grow a family through adoption. And law firms can work with individuals who are getting divorced to negotiate a divorce agreement, including alimony, palimony, the division of property and debts, child custody, child support and visitation.
Have an Family Law Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

354 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

241 Answers, 47 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

179 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

115 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

85 Answers, 33 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

82 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

71 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums