> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Family Law > My mom is taking care of my child from time to time while i handle family matters do i have to give her joint custody?

My mom is taking care of my child from time to time while i handle family matters do i have to give her joint custody?

1 Answers. Asked on Jul 07th, 2017 on Family Law - New Jersey
More details to this question:
I live in NJ with my parents and my son. My son's father has passed away recently. I had residential custody and the father and I had joint custody. Do I now have sole custody? Also, I am going back and forth from NJ to FL taking care of my sick aunt. My mom and I have a written agreement and a temporary guardianship form notarized/legally bonded in which she takes care of my son while I am not there, Do I need to give her joint custody? or are the notarized papers good enough?
Tagged as:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jul 08th, 2017 at 10:51 AM

Unless there is some formal court order if the father passed away, you have sole custody of the child. You can discuss with an attorney preparing some power of attorney if you need your mother to be able to act on your behalf if the child is in need of medical care, or if the mother needs to get medical records or school records or the like. You could also give your mother joint custody, but that is not something that should be done without a lot of thought since you could find yourself in a custody battle with your mother. If the written agreement has sufficed up until now, I would not recommend going for joint custody without at least consulting with a family law attorney beforehand.

Answers to any question is not to imply a lawyer-client relationship which can only be after a consultation and the signing of a retainer agreement disclosing what the terms of representation might be.

Report Abuse
Family Law
A family law attorney can guide you through the many legal issues facing couples, parents and their children. Family law lawyers can work with individuals who are engaged or married to create pre-nuptial agreements and post-nuptial agreements. Family law attorneys will also work with individuals and couples seeking to start or grow a family through adoption. And law firms can work with individuals who are getting divorced to negotiate a divorce agreement, including alimony, palimony, the division of property and debts, child custody, child support and visitation.
Have an Family Law Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

354 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

241 Answers, 47 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

179 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

115 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

85 Answers, 33 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

82 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

71 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums