> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Divorce > What can be done to stop alimony payments upon loosing a job or retiring.

What can be done to stop alimony payments upon loosing a job or retiring.

1 Answers. Asked on Apr 20th, 2017 on Divorce - New Jersey
More details to this question:
With out earnings can I stop payment of alimony as a person with no job retirement plan and no earnings income any longer to cover the alimony ? Is loss of job & or earnings income grounds to legally stop the court ordered payments?
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Apr 21st, 2017 at 6:37 AM

In order to stop or adjust alimony payments, it is your burden to prove to the court that there is a significant change in circumstances since the order for alimony was entered. A job loss or reduction in salary more often than not is seen as a "temporary" change and would probably not move the court to stop your alimony. Retirment, however, is a permanent change in circumstances that should trigger the end of alimony.

Report Abuse
Ending a marriage is more than just an emotional process--it's also a legal process. The court must approve your "dissolution of marriage" petition, and will also rule on issues related to the division of property, alimony (also known as spousal support or maintenance), child custody and child support. A divorce or family law attorney can help guide you through the divorce process, while also negotiating with your soon-to-be ex-spouse and his or her divorce lawyer. It's important to note that ethics laws prohibit the same law firm or attorney from representing both spouses in a divorce. Even if your divorce is an amicable one, it's critical to have your own legal representation to ensure that you're treated fairly at all stages of the divorce proceeding.
Have an Divorce Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

320 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

242 Answers, 45 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

142 Answers, 23 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

112 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

85 Answers, 37 Legal Topics

Edward J. Dimon

Attorney - New Jersey

82 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

81 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

Divorce Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Lawrence N. Rothbart

New York, NY

| Contact Now

Varga Law Offices

Media, PA

| Contact Now

Larkosh & Jackson, LLP

Edgartown, MA

| Contact Now

Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums