> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Family Law > can a sibling dispute how deceased parents spent money between the siblings and their children?

can a sibling dispute how deceased parents spent money between the siblings and their children?

1 Answers. Asked on Mar 26th, 2017 on Family Law - New York
More details to this question:
My children are older and my parents gave them money for weddings, down payments for houses and some other larger things. My brother has teenage children and they did not spend as much on them. My brother now has access to their checking account and is furious about the disporportion between the two families and expects to be repaid by us or them for the difference. He is even threatening to sue them. We feel the way they spent their money was their business. Does he have any legal rights?
Tagged as:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Mar 27th, 2017 at 7:09 AM

You are correct- your parents were free to spend their money as they chose, and their residuary estate (the money and assets they left behind) must be distributed according to their wills, if they had any, or   the laws of intestacy if not. Your brother can't have "access" to the checking account of deceased people- that is not how it works. Either he was appointed legal representative or he wasnt. I would be concerned if I were you that he's taking matters into his own hands to correct what he perceives as an injustice. You have a right to know, either way.

Report Abuse
Family Law
A family law attorney can guide you through the many legal issues facing couples, parents and their children. Family law lawyers can work with individuals who are engaged or married to create pre-nuptial agreements and post-nuptial agreements. Family law attorneys will also work with individuals and couples seeking to start or grow a family through adoption. And law firms can work with individuals who are getting divorced to negotiate a divorce agreement, including alimony, palimony, the division of property and debts, child custody, child support and visitation.
Have an Family Law Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

334 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

240 Answers, 46 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

173 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

99 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

93 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

89 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

69 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums