> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Family Law > Can I change my child''s last name without adoption?

Can I change my child''s last name without adoption?

1 Answers. Asked on Mar 30th, 2012 on Family Law - Texas
More details to this question:
I have a 4 year old son who since he was born has had my maiden last name not the biological father''s last name. The biological father left way before my son was even born and did not sign any Authentication of Paternity and the Birth Certificate. He was not even at the hospital when my son was born. I am married now I have another son and a child on the way. We all of course have my husband''s last name. Now I am all for my husband adopting my son however the time of the process is long and costly. I was wondering if there was any way I could just change my son''s last name to my married name? Since his last name right now is my maiden name I do not see why this would be a problem. I just do not know what I would need to do if I could do this. I will pay any cost just to change his name without having to go through a process of adoption. My husband and I both understand that just changing his last name gives my husband any rights over him. We just want his last name changed. Thank you.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Apr 03rd, 2012 at 4:59 PM

You probably can, but there are many better reasons to have your husband adopt him.

Report Abuse
Family Law
A family law attorney can guide you through the many legal issues facing couples, parents and their children. Family law lawyers can work with individuals who are engaged or married to create pre-nuptial agreements and post-nuptial agreements. Family law attorneys will also work with individuals and couples seeking to start or grow a family through adoption. And law firms can work with individuals who are getting divorced to negotiate a divorce agreement, including alimony, palimony, the division of property and debts, child custody, child support and visitation.
Have an Family Law Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

326 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

242 Answers, 45 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

177 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

99 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

97 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

87 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

67 Answers, 24 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums