> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Family Law > Can my ex-wife refuse to pay health insurance for our children?

Can my ex-wife refuse to pay health insurance for our children?

1 Answers. Asked on Sep 11th, 2017 on Family Law - Utah
More details to this question:
The final decree of divorce states "pursuant to Utah Code 783-12-111 the parties shall maintain health insurance for and on behalf of the minor children of the parties so long as it is available through their insurance." The only people listed on the decree as "parties" is myself and my ex-wife, but her husband does not want to pay for my insurance. He wants to refuse to pay the insurance I provide for the children now because it is slightly more expensive ($20 or so per month) than what he could get. Could my ex-wife refuse to pay her half of the insurance if her husband can get it cheaper and he feels we are making him pay more?
Tagged as:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Sep 12th, 2017 at 7:29 AM

Does your decree not specify which of you is to carry it if you both have it available? Does it not address how to handle such a situation depending on cost and coverage?

Your decree needs to be reviewed. If it does not contain those provisions, then you may need to modify the decree. And yes, in general, if one can obtain equal or better coverage at less cost then that could become the primary with yours being a secondary insurance, and the contributions paid by each of you appropriately set off.

 Based on what you say, you don't have an attorney. That is a big mistake.

You really need to get with an experienced family law attorney just as quickly as you can to review the facts of your case and set out a plan to assert your position. Please understand that this site does not allow us to recommend any particular attorney or firm, but I do know what a mess these cases can be having handled many disputed matters. Do your on-line research and look for attorneys experienced in these types of matters.

Report Abuse
Family Law
A family law attorney can guide you through the many legal issues facing couples, parents and their children. Family law lawyers can work with individuals who are engaged or married to create pre-nuptial agreements and post-nuptial agreements. Family law attorneys will also work with individuals and couples seeking to start or grow a family through adoption. And law firms can work with individuals who are getting divorced to negotiate a divorce agreement, including alimony, palimony, the division of property and debts, child custody, child support and visitation.
Have an Family Law Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

312 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

224 Answers, 44 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

175 Answers, 24 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

103 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

75 Answers, 27 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

69 Answers, 33 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

64 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums