> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Family Law > How do I obtain guardianship of an unrelated minor child?

How do I obtain guardianship of an unrelated minor child?

2 Answers. Asked on Aug 05th, 2013 on Family Law - New York
More details to this question:
My friend's daughter would like to move in with us. She's 15 and going into 10th grade. We have discussed it as a family and believe that it would be a good experience for her and for us. We have a teenage daughter, we can afford to support her financially, we have the space to shelter her, and we genuinely enjoy having her. We are at the point where we're ready to approach her parents with the idea. We do not believe she's in a horrible situation at home and would only do it if her parents were on-board. I would like to know what the process is, if they agree to grant us guardianship and about how long it takes. She lives in Suffolk County, NY and we live in Fairfax County, VA
Answers Showing 2 out of 2
Answered on Aug 09th, 2013 at 9:17 AM

you need the opinion of a NY lawyer. I would suggest keeping it informal by drafting a trasnfer of custody paper, singed by both of her parents. That way, you always have proof why she is with you-for the schools, medical, travel, etc. i would try not to get the court involved.

William R. Pelger, Attorney Munhall, Pennsylvania 412-461-1900

Report Abuse
Answered on Aug 05th, 2013 at 3:50 PM

It would be a petition in Family Court with a stipulation of settlement.

In case it isn't obvious, please note that the posting above may be considered attorney advertising.

Report Abuse
Family Law
A family law attorney can guide you through the many legal issues facing couples, parents and their children. Family law lawyers can work with individuals who are engaged or married to create pre-nuptial agreements and post-nuptial agreements. Family law attorneys will also work with individuals and couples seeking to start or grow a family through adoption. And law firms can work with individuals who are getting divorced to negotiate a divorce agreement, including alimony, palimony, the division of property and debts, child custody, child support and visitation.
Have an Family Law Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

324 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

228 Answers, 42 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

176 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

102 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

95 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

85 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Stephen A. Black

Attorney - Florida

63 Answers, 11 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums