how do i proceed??

1 Answers. Asked on Jul 05th, 2016 on Family Law - Illinois
More details to this question:
daughter has a baby and daughter is in an unhealthy relationship (too young to have a baby, drugs, abuse, alcohol, etc.) and the baby is not in a safe currently safe with aunt, daughter crashed at my house, baby daddy at their do i proceed?? Priority is to keep baby OUT of their environment...ideally i would like daughter to check in somewhere...again, how do i proceed? what is my first step...
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jul 06th, 2016 at 9:24 AM

As grandparents, you have a concern and, maybe, some rights.  Where to start is to speak with a local family law attorney.  You could call DCFS as they are the State agency charged with the safe-keeping of children, but you need to first know all your rights and risks to you, the child, and your daughter. 

It may be that your daughter goes with you to the attorney.  Maybe she views a support order and some restraining order needed or is, at least, open to the discussion.  Maybe not, but you can judge whether or not to broach this discussion with her.  You can then meet with the attorney.  Should she not attend, you can see if a guardianship in probate is the way for you to proceed or if you have standing in divorce court to seek custody.  If she does attend, she can review her various options in a paternity case.  As should be evident, these are very intricate questions that turn on the underlying facts, who is the Petioner, and the practice of the county in which you live.  As such, an appointment to consult with an experienced attorney is needed. 

Should you not know who to contact, there should be a local county bar association in the County that operates a Lawyer Referral Service.  You can get names of indivudals and review the websites for each attorney with an appointment set to speak with the individual you feel is best suited for you and your situation.

Report Abuse
Family Law
A family law attorney can guide you through the many legal issues facing couples, parents and their children. Family law lawyers can work with individuals who are engaged or married to create pre-nuptial agreements and post-nuptial agreements. Family law attorneys will also work with individuals and couples seeking to start or grow a family through adoption. And law firms can work with individuals who are getting divorced to negotiate a divorce agreement, including alimony, palimony, the division of property and debts, child custody, child support and visitation.
Have an Family Law Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

312 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

224 Answers, 44 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

175 Answers, 24 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

103 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

75 Answers, 27 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

69 Answers, 33 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

64 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums