> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Divorce > How to obtain divorce when spouse is Mexican citizen with son

How to obtain divorce when spouse is Mexican citizen with son

1 Answers. Asked on Jan 21st, 2013 on Divorce - California
More details to this question:
Specifically, how can I obtain a divorce in the state of California if my spouse and I got married in the state of Pennsylvania in 2004 and then separated in 2009, at which point she immediately left the country to return to Mexico and gave birth to our child there. Neither herself or the child are residents of the U.S., as they are both Mexican nationals. Neither of us maintain contact.
Tagged as:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Feb 19th, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Arguably, you can file for divorce in California if you've lived here for six months, and lived in the county in which you file for divorce for the last three months. The difficulty, however, is obtaining jurisdiction over your wife in Mexico. The Court is going to require that you attempt to serve her with a Summons and Petition for Dissolution. It becomes very, very complicated when dealing with an individual in a foreign country. I strongly encourage you to contact a local family law attorney who has dealt with international divorces - they are different and require an attorney with knowledge of the ins and outs of such a matter.

David L. Gibbs, Esq.
The Gibbs Law Firm, APC
San Clemente, California

*Due to the limitations of the Forums, The Gibbs Law Firm, APC's (the "Firm") participation in responding to questions posted herein does not constitute legal advice, nor legal representation of the person or entity posting a question. No Attorney/Client relationship is or shall be construed to be created hereby. Further, information you provide to the Firm through this website is not confidential - it is available publicly to anyone visiting this website. The Firm shall have no obligation to keep the information you provide herein confidential in any context. The information provided herein by the Firm is general, and requires that the poster obtain specific legal advice from an attorney. The poster shall not rely upon the information provided herein as legal advice nor as the basis for making any decisions of legal consequence. As required by 11 U.S.C. §528, we must now disclose that, "We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code. Assistance we provide with respect to Debt Relief may involve bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code."


Report Abuse
Ending a marriage is more than just an emotional process--it's also a legal process. The court must approve your "dissolution of marriage" petition, and will also rule on issues related to the division of property, alimony (also known as spousal support or maintenance), child custody and child support. A divorce or family law attorney can help guide you through the divorce process, while also negotiating with your soon-to-be ex-spouse and his or her divorce lawyer. It's important to note that ethics laws prohibit the same law firm or attorney from representing both spouses in a divorce. Even if your divorce is an amicable one, it's critical to have your own legal representation to ensure that you're treated fairly at all stages of the divorce proceeding.
Have an Divorce Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

326 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

242 Answers, 45 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

177 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

99 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

97 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

87 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

67 Answers, 24 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums