> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Family Law > My fiancé's mother is asking the courts to take away 50/50 custody because she said 7 days is too long for them. Should we be worried?

My fiancé's mother is asking the courts to take away 50/50 custody because she said 7 days is too long for them. Should we be worried?

1 Answers. Asked on Jul 20th, 2017 on Family Law - Wisconsin
More details to this question:
My soon to be step daughter was recently injured at our home. She ran into the side of a car when crossing the street. She spent one night in the hospital. She now says that she does not want her with us, as if we are horrible parents. She herself is never home, so her older boys are always watching the younger kids she is trying to take from us. What would next steps be? Will they take them because of 1 accident?
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jul 21st, 2017 at 5:21 AM

Your message is sort of confusing. What is your relationship to the child? Grandparent? Step-parent? Parent? It sounds like the child got injured in an accident. How old is the child?  Are the parties divorced? If so how long ago? If within the last 2 years, the law prohibits either party from modifying custody or placement unless the child is physically or emotionally endangered. If the parties were never married, the same two year law applies to paternity cases as well, once the custody orders are set. Once you get past the 2 years, there is a presumption under wisconsin law, that the custody and placement arrangements should be left as is. There would need to be some very compelling reasons to alter the current schedule.

David B. Karp Karp & Iancu, S.C. 933 North Mayfair Road #300 Milwaukee, WI 53226 414 453 0800

Report Abuse
Family Law
A family law attorney can guide you through the many legal issues facing couples, parents and their children. Family law lawyers can work with individuals who are engaged or married to create pre-nuptial agreements and post-nuptial agreements. Family law attorneys will also work with individuals and couples seeking to start or grow a family through adoption. And law firms can work with individuals who are getting divorced to negotiate a divorce agreement, including alimony, palimony, the division of property and debts, child custody, child support and visitation.
Have an Family Law Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

312 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

224 Answers, 44 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

175 Answers, 24 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

103 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

75 Answers, 27 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

69 Answers, 33 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

64 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums